This was one of those nights where I opened the fridge, threw a variety of ingredients in a bowl and called it dinner and by happy accident, we happened to love the end result! Don’t you just love it when that happens? Huevos rancheros bowls are my new favorite thing. This protein packed bowl is satisfying and full of big flavors. It is completely customizable and you can certainly use rice instead of quinoa, I just happen to be on a quinoa kick lately.
Huevos rancheros is a Mexican breakfast dish consisting of fried eggs served on hot corn tortillas and smothered in cooked salsa. I swopped the tortilla for quinoa and loaded the bowl with fresh, flavorful toppings. With pantry staples this dish is now a regular at my house.
Though you can have this dish any time of day, I love a good egg dish for dinner. Meat is time consuming to prepare and expensive at times so when I can turn a simple fried egg into a full blown meal I am a happy camper. Eggs are inexpensive, quick cooking, and a great protein to fill you up.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups cooked warm black beans
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup salsa verde, homemade or jarred
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh cilantro, for topping
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. I like to use chicken stock instead of water when making quinoa for more flavor.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Grease the skillet with preferred fat and crack four eggs into skillet. As soon as the whites begin to cook cover the skillet with a lid and lower heat to low and cook until preferred doneness.
- Season the cooked quinoa with salt and spoon into four bowls.
- Top the quinoa with a fried egg, warmed black beans, sliced avocado, salsa verde, and a dollop of sour cream. Top with some fresh cilantro and enjoy!