This has got to be one of the fastest meals to prepare. The scratch made teriyaki sauce is made by pantry staples and the rest is just browning some ground turkey and popping some rice in the cooker. This can be prepared in under 20 minutes and can easily be converted into a low carb meal by substituting the rice with cauliflower rice or lettuce cups. I like to serve this meal with thinly sliced cucumber drizzled with rice wine vinegar. The perfect busy weeknight meal.
Let me tell you about this teriyaki sauce. I have been working on the perfect teriyaki sauce for what feels like years. I have finally found the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. Growing up, we would always go out to teriyaki and though this sauce is not an exact replica it is pretty darn good.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tbs cornstarch
- ¾ cup water
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups short grain rice, cooked
- 3 tablespoons green onion, sliced
- In a 2 cup liquid measuring dish combine soy sauce, hoisin sauce, red pepper flakes, honey, garlic powder, cornstarch, and water. Whisk thoroughly until there are no lumps.
- Brown the turkey in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce into the cooked ground turkey and stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Once the sauce has thickened, spoon the teriyaki turkey over the rice and top with some fresh green onions. Enjoy!