My husband first introduced me to agua fresca while we were dating and I have been hooked ever since. Agua fresca is a combination of fruits, flowers, herbs, or citrus blended with sugar and water to make a light and refreshing summer beverage. Agua fresca is popular in Mexico and the United States and comes in a myriad of flavors. My favorite is watermelon lime, obviously, but I have been itching to try honeydew basil and my husband prefers cantaloupe and cucumber. You just can’t go wrong with this delicious drink.
This is the perfect way to use up that overripe fruit. There is nothing more disappointing than cutting open a watermelon to reveal mushy and overripe flesh. Agua fresca is a great way to get creative with your overripe fruit. This beverage is completely customizable not only by trying different fruits but you can also use different sweeteners or use club soda instead of water. Just another reason to like this delicious summer drink.
- 2 pounds seedless watermelon (1/8 of a good-sized melon)
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp agave or sugar (optional)
- Add all ingredients into a standard blender.
- Blend until smooth and pureed.
- Strain liquid through a mesh strainer.
- Serve over ice.
- If you are in the mood for a more celebratory drink try adding a bit of lemon-lime soda for a fizzy drink.